Sunday, December 2, 2007

Mood angry

Her voice floats on the breeze into my mind, like the lost wailing of a banshee opera distilled by epochs, by generations of decayed imaginations gone putrid, by the rot of unbelief. Her soul's been calling my name for centuries, but it seems that I'm only hearing it now, as I stand on the rooftop, overlooking the man-made magic of civilization. I wonder, briefly, what ever happened to mysticism, the phenomenological, that which spurned our creativity onward in the sickly universe? I feel a million injustices battered into my very spirit, though they all seem to only affect me indirectly. And yet, somehow, the undeserving always end up with the very things that should be bestowed upon the faithful and the worthy. I feel the hoarse chuckle, one brief exhalation, climb from my stomach and spit it out into the humid air.

I wonder, is it better to end up a spot on the pavement below than to wander aimlessly through this life? Is there truly justice after death for who and what we allow ourselves to become in this life?

The music undulates a rhythm, and the cars meandering by below my rooftop haven don't syncopate, yet somehow add their symphony to the cacophony of my musings. There, again, her voice, so sweet, so beautiful, a rainbow hue of colors caress her lips and drift away into the night. I catch those colors between my ears before they are lost on the void of nothingness. No one will ever be able to even imagine my sorrow. No one will ever be able to understand.

It was this very thought that pushed me to the point of leaning just a bit too far over that edge, my body rigid-straight, head turned upward, eyes closed, listening to her voice. I thought this was the only way to die. Her voice climbed and climbed to impossible notes, harmonious with the vibraphone, as I dropped and dropped, only opening my eyes in those last few seconds to see the expression on one onlooker's face. The chuckle-head pulled one of those squinty, 'it's gonna blow – and all over my face!' expressions, cringing away from my destined drop zone. I knew I was soon to be all over him in bits, but it was pure ecstasy as her voice reached its peak and tremorred…..

No comments: